Sunday, July 31, 2005

Whose Side Are You On?




Whose Side Are You On?
"Vengeance is Mine, saith the Lord"

Well, since I began posting blogs again I have talked about life and religion. I guess it is about time for me to throw politics into the mix.
The one big political struggle over the last 30 years has been about a matter of life and death. I am talking about these questions...

a) When does life begin?
b) Who should decide when a life can terminate?
c) Who should pay the money the answers that the decision of the first 2 questions will require?


This is heady and weighty stuff to consider. I do not believe that I am qualified and knowledgeable enough to answer the first 2 questions. It really bothers me that so many people are answering these first 2 questions, and they want to know whose side I am on. I do think that I can answer the last question, and while my answer might make a reader of this blog think that I am on the pro-life side, they need to reread my words more reflectively. I think that the Federal tax dollars should not be spent to pay the money for abortions or any research that will destroy viable human fetuses. I also think that the Federal governments should not legislate, judge, or execute anything concerning the private acts of abortion or private research involving viable human fetuses. I know that it would probably be a real stretch if the Supreme Court ruled that because of the separation clauses of the US Constitution 1st amendment that all laws that pay money for or ban any of these private activities are heretofore unconstitutional. I would be very happy if they did this. Private investors would certainly breathe a lot easier if they knew that a venture they had a vested interest in would not become illegal. Taxpayers would breathe easier if they knew that the money collected from them is not going to be used to pay for activities that they find morally abhorrent. This still leaves a large number of unhappy people who have picked a side on these issues and they feel like their side did not win. The only thing that I can say to all of these folks is remember this verse from the Holy Bible: “Vengeance is mine saith the Lord.” There are just too many things that we do not have the knowledge or the objectivity to judge another person. We need to keep steadfast in our faith in God, and believe that God will have the final word in all of this. Until that happens I am living in the world as a voter and a taxpayer. If a politician wants to legislate and enforce laws that allow taxpayers' money to fund abortions and viable human fetus research then I will not vote for them. If a politician wants to legislate and enforce laws that ban private abortions or private investments in medical research then I will not vote for them. Who I vote into office is my right to decide. What other people do in private medical procedures and research is not my right to decide. I will let God decide that outcome.

No comments: